ACTIVISM: YOU HAVE A VOICE PLEASE USE IT

01:51



I've been noticing this for a while, but only today I got the idea to blog about it.
On this blog I wrote a blog post about youth, how their minds are different to children's and adults. How I feel young people (my age) have this magical quality to way they love, have adventures and express themselves.


Recently I've been noticing how vocal the youth of the 21st century have become. 

I use this blog to voice my opinion on different topics. Issues that I think people need to take notice of. I try to challenge people and make think. My friends and classmates are voicing their opinions through hashtags on Twitter. Some people may not think it makes an impact, but it does. I watched how what happened in Ferguson spread through Twitter and Tumblr, I watched the hashtag #ICantBreathe stay in the top trends for days on end.

Unrest about issues can spread through the internet like wildfire. You just need the kindling, (that's us) to catch fire (be motivated)


There are so many mediums that you can use to be heard. Art, music, blogging, Youtube videos, Tweeting, writing speeches, marching. Be active, use your voice.


I notice a girl I'm friendly with, Ayesha Tape protesting against xenophobia, talking about the stigma against her religion and for being South African. I see her creating Instagram accounts promoting her nationality. She's only turning 17 next week, bear in mind. I burst with pride every time I see her protesting different issues through Twitter and Facebook. She's using her voice to vocalize her discomfort. She's being heard. Ayesha is refusing to back down.


A beautiful young African American actress Amandla Stenberg made a video three months ago. This video is going viral now. It discusses how African American culture is becoming more popular, being adapted by the Western world, yet African Americans still experience racism, prejudice and cruelty. I encourage you to watch, it'll make you think. Amandla is the Zulu word for power, and you can see this Amandla is aptly named.


Tavi Gevinson. Someone I look up to, even though she is younger than me: She founded RookieMag.com at the age of 15, a publication that discusses pop culture, fashion, adolescent issues and feminism. It's fascinating stuff. On Rookie, controversial issues are spoken about and voices are given to the usually voiceless. No one is discriminated against. All are welcome, you are encouraged to speak out at RookieMag.com.

And that is what I'm encouraging all of you to do. Give yourself a voice. If you're unhappy about something, be it in your local area or on an international scale, talk about it. Say something. Do something. Please don't accept it. I repeat, give yourself and others a voice. Speak out.

One day we're going to be calling the shots. We're going to be the people making laws and changing the world. Hopefully changing it for the better. But you can start young. Start before you're 18 or when you're 18. If you can vote in important referendums, please do. Don't waste your votes. If you have the opportunity to voice your opinion, why not go for it.

Don't be afraid of speaking out. It's likely you'll find others who'll agree with you. A spark will turn into a blaze in an instant. Remember that.

Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi.

You have a voice, please use it.

__________________________________________________

Song I listened to while I wrote this:




Thank you so much for reading.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I love hearing feedback, all constructive criticism welcome!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe