2017 Here I Come: Norway, Beats & Oldies

09:57


As I write this I am preparing to go home to Ireland for Christmas. It's been three long months since I've stepped foot in my own country and despite feverishly counting the days until I get my two week break at home, it hasn't really hit me. I have lost myself in the music world plenty of times during my time here in Belgium, I have found dance tunes, music that I can relate to on an emotional level and more and more I am so glad I have access to music from all over the world. I am always open to suggestions from people. Hope you enjoy, as always. 

Dagny - Backbeat


Dagny is a Norwegian musician and I can’t tell you enough how obsessed I am with this song. It makes me feel really good about myself and lifts my spirits. I was cleaning my room, dancing arod the room to this. I think it’s her amazing voice and the catchy beats that have me moving it. The piano in the opening seconds, coupled with the voices joining makes me really happy. I am not sure why! I am also extremely to be listening to a musician from Norway, because for one, it’s a really beautiful country and I don’t think I’ve listened to a Norwegian musician before. I am always open to new things, especially music. I would really like to hear more from her.

I understand, understand
I been feeling it so long
I’m flying when I’m in your arms
I’m burning up, burning up
Feeling like I kid myself, kid myself again


Mumford & Sons/Baaba Maal - There Will Be Time


This song makes me so emotional. Having Baaba Maal makes it even more beautiful. It’s the lyrics that my heart ache. Hearing Pulaar being sung is extraordinarily beautiful. Marcus Mumford’s voice is heavenly with the soft djembes in the background. The lyrics talk about a struggle, the struggle with love and also the power of it. I think it’s gorgeous. The emotion reaches its heights towards the end, when the guitar and the drums sped up and it is certainly a foot tapper. I think it would be incredible live and I am so glad I stumbled on it. Mumford and Sons always get to me I think they are great musicians, despite them being so famous. They also have been changing up their sound in the past while and if this is the direction they are going in, I am certainly will be continuing to listen.

In the cold light, I live to love and adore you
It’s all that I am, it’s all that I have
In the cold light I live, I only live for you
It’s all that I am, it’s all that I have

X Ambassadors - Renegades



Renegades is a song that was introduced to me by my Belgian friend Tine and oh my goodness I love it, the combination of guitar and drum is incredible. Coincidentally it reminds me a lot of Belgium, where I’ve spent most of my Autumn and Winter this year. I tend to listen to this on my way into Korenmarkt, Ghent’s centre. I absolute love the lyrics, and it’s just a really empowering song and gets my body going. It has a really earthy feel to it and I feel if you’re into singer songwriters or say the likes of The Lumineers you’d like this one. I feel like this would be one you’d sing at an open mic night and it would really get the crowd going. I really really like this song.

So, all hail the underdogs
All hail the new kids
All hail the outlaws
Spielbergs and Kubricks

Le Galaxie ft Elaine Mae - Love System


I have my friend Katie to thank for this song, which is actually by Le Galaxie, an Irish music act. There’s something about it that I really like, because I’ve been really into electronic music this year. It’s both something you could dance to and then listen to while you’re just chilling. From 1:34 it gets really really groovy and there is a surprise introduction to the saxophone towards the end which I found myself really enjoying. Le Galaxie isn’t an act I would have listened to in any great amount during the year but I am definitely going to listen to more after hearing this one. If you like electronic music like myself, give it a try. And I will never say no to supporting Irish musicians.

Gabrielle Aplin - Miss You


I have loved Gabrielle Aplin for about two years and it’s been great watching her sound evolve in the past while. She’s jumped from acoustic, to more rock and now electronic sounding instrumentals. Her gorgeous voice has not changed however, and her talent for writing song. This song makes me feel really good, the pulsating beat has me tapping my foot as I type this. Seeing this girl in concert is is on my bucket list. I remember reading that some people didn’t like this new direction Gabrielle was going in and I have to say I disagree. She’s still creating gorgeous, captivating and now totally funky music. I love it!

So what you been doing?
I've been loving my life waking up on my own
Are you doing the same thing?

The Weeknd - Starboy



I was surprised by how much I liked Starboy. I think The Weeknd in his own league, I can’t quite pin point what I like so much about the music. For a male singer, his voice is really good. I love the bass in the background, it’s something I would really enjoy dancing. 2016 has been the year that The Weeknd has cemented himself into my regular music. I never thought this would happen, but since I have allowed myself be more open to new things, my music taste has really expanded. I believe The Weeknd said he was inspired by David Bowie and Prince while making this new record, weirdly enough I can detect it? I definitely hear a change in the music, and I am really liking it.

House so empty, need a centerpiece
Twenty racks a table cut from ebony
Cut that ivory into skinny pieces
Then she clean it with her face man I love my baby

Old Sea Brigade - Better Days



This is a lovely song and it was really nice to see it pop up in my Spotify Discover Weekly a few weeks back. I find listening to it really cheers me up when I am having a bad day. It really empowers me to take good from all bad situations, to lift myself up and remind myself that there is always good in everything. I think the singer’s voice is so raspy and beautiful. The lyrics are really relatable; they genuinely make me feel better if I really focus on them. So if you ever want a song that reassures you when you’re having a bad day, I would recommend this. Never ever forget that you can always try again, no matter what happens. That’s the feeling I get from this song.

And I've seen better days you know,
we'll take it slow, we'll take it slow, we'll take it slow.
Run me to the ground,
leave a better scene than what you found.

New Order - Love Will Tear Us Apart



Where do I get started with this song? My friend Aidan introduced me to it and I am so so glad he did. I listen to this all the time. The lyrics really mean something to me, but it’s the banging instrumentals that I love, especially, particularly that smashing drum beat at the beginning of the song.  My hands automatically air drum when I hear it, I think it’s incredible. I would dance away to this all the time if I could. It honestly doesn’t get old. This is a live version and it encapsulates so much how music brings people together. This is apparently a post-punk song – I certainly did not know this or that I was into this genre at all. It’s a song that brings people together, if you can imagine people at a concert, or even a sing song, roaring the lyrics and jamming out to those instruments. I would love it. I actually prefer the New Order version to the Joy Division one.

But emotions won't grow,
And we're changing our ways,
Taking different roads.
Then love, love will tear us apart again.
Love, love will tear us apart again.

FRENSHIP - Run Wild



Frenship have really grown on me this year, I listen to at least one or two of their songs a couple of times a week. This particular one makes me dance, I like the electropop vibe to it. I can’t even put to words what the sound in the beginning of is, but it runs right through the song. It was what made me like the song in the first place. I personally am surprised that Frenship don’t have a bigger following but in saying that, I don’t think they’ve been around for any long amount of time. But I am interested to see what they’ll come with. I like the catchy, groovy vibes their songs have.

These feelings will expire
No no no, no no no
If we leave 'em alone, leave 'em alone, oh
Can we just fuel this fire?
No no no, no no no
I need the rest to burn

Planet Earth II Suite - Hans Zimmer, Jacob Shea, Jasha Kleb


It is safe to say I am obsessed with this instrumental from BBC’s Planet Earth. With Hans Zimmer involved it was bound to be amazing, but I was surprised how taken I was with it. But I genuinely feel it captures the beauty of the nature world. If I close my eyes when I am listening to it, hearing the lulls and swells in the music. 3.02 in the song when the steady and powerful drum beat joins in is just magnificent and no matter how many times in a row I can feel an ache in my heart at how beautiful it is. It makes me feel awe for this beautiful planet we live on, the amazing animal species we have walking on it. It makes me want to protect it more and more.

***********

 Once again, I hope you've found something new to listen to, or realized an old favourite! Thanks so much for reading and taking the time to look at my blog!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I love hearing feedback, all constructive criticism welcome!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe