Legend review: Twins, Trouble and Technicalities

17:30


Yesterday I watched "Legend" in the Odeon here in Limerick. If you know me you'll know that I am very picky when it comes to film choice and I will thoroughly reserarch a film before I think about watching it. It's just the way I am! However I'm always very interested in films based on true stories, and this is loosely based on two people who existed and died, not long ago.

(WARNING SPOILER ALERT).

Reggie and Ronald Kray

However, this time was different. My friends decided that they would not allow me to research the film, check its ratings or know any of the plot before watching it. I knew it was going to be an interesting experience. I was intrigued first of all because I knew the film was based on a true story, that of the elusive and notorious Kray brothers, gangsters of the 60's and 50's. They were involved in organized crime, owned clubs in the West End. They were well known and feared for their use of threat and violence to achieve their goals.



The twins are both played by English actor Tom Hardy, who speaks in a cockney accent for the duration of the film. I'm not too familiar with the accents of London but knowing Tom's original accent, I was impressed with the consistency throughout the film. I thought Hardy's potrayal of the twins was extremely fascinating.

Emily Browning plays Frances, Reggie's fiancé. Her costumes were very interesting, I'm not too familiar with the fashion of the 50's and 60's but I loved her 50's/60's style hair. I liked that we got to see the story from her perspective, as she experienced both the dangerous and gentle side of Reginald Kray. Her side of the story was particularly harrowing, as even though she loved Reggie dearly, it came as a cost, which you will know if you know the story of the Krays or have watched the film.

TOM HARDY (REGGIE KRAY) AND EMILY BROWNING (FRANCES SHEA)
REGGIE KRAY AND FRANCES SHEA
While Tom's feat of both playing a mentally ill and prone to violence villain and a suave and equally as dangerous sound minded individual, I'm not sure personally if it's enough for an Oscar nomination. I may be proved wrong. He cleverly used different facial expressions so you could distinguish between the twins, even with the slight changes in voice and the speed and clarity of the character's speech. So well done to Tom Hardy on that. He plays a menacing character very well.

As a twin myself it was interesting to see the twins' relationship play out on the screen. I thought of my own relationship with my twin Úna, how we can fight like cats and proclaim loudly that we don't get on, but when it comes down to defending the other, we will.



While researching the true story of the Kray's, I learned that there were many historical inaccuracies in the film, which kind of irks me a bit.  Of course, you can't include everything, but there were interesting facts and claims that you should read about here.

An actor I really like, David Thewlis (Professor Lupin from Harry Potter, "The Theory of Everything" and "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas etc) appears as a man working for the Krays, Leslie Payne. His character was interesting, having to deal with both Ronnie's mental illness, demands for money and his homosexual tendencies. Colin Morgan, a Northern Irish actor of "Merlin" fame and Irish film "Parked" stars as Emily Browning's Frances' brother.



The soundtrack in my opinion was on point, an appearance from Duffy in the Kray's club added to the atmosphere. There was an interesting contrast between class and foul play within the club, which is essentially what the two Krays are all about. They both attempted to exude sophistication yet their tendency to resort to violence could not be held back. As seen throughout the film, both brothers have a hot temper.

I found that I didn't connect really with the characters in the film. I liked the way the film looked visually which is a huge factor for me. I'm very particular about the look of a film which is why I'm wary to watch a film without researching it first. But there's always a first time for everything. Would I watch it again? Probably, It was an interesting film but I just didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped I would. Still impressive though.



What did you think of the film yourself?



________________

(Photos and videos as always as for decorative purposes only, full copyright to the owners)

Please follow me on Twitter, to keep up to date.

Please like my blog on Facebook to keep up to date with posts and I'd appreciate any shares!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I love hearing feedback, all constructive criticism welcome!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe